PDA

View Full Version : Small Hitting Question - Hitting Technique discussion

test_this
03-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Sorry for the repost, but I put this in the beginners guide and help questions thread and hoping someone will respond lol. I kinda need a lil help:
I have a small query on leg hitting. I have looked around this and other forums on the correct/best way to hit your leg, and the majority of people suggest having the leg slightly bent and tensing muscles to straighten without overextending. However I read a post by someone (sorry forgot who) who was explaining the virtues of the forward leg hit. Is there a reason it seems less poppers do this, ie. does it give you knee damage or give a weaker/less clean hit?

I saw some videos of Popping John, and I think he hits his legs forward, and his hits are pretty good so I don't think forward hit gives less power? Is it no difference just a matter of preference?

If so, I was wondering which way is it best to hit your chest to add to the illusion if you are doing a forward leg hit? I know your body moves differently on the forwards hit, so I didn't want to do a chest hit that works against the overall effect created by the leg hit, lol.

I just wanted to clear that up before I could progress a bit further,

Thanks.

Joon13
03-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Hope this helps

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BBiE7jP2bfE&feature=related

also i heard if you tighten your butt cheeks and and release works good but i use a combo of ass cheeks and legs :p

test_this
03-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks for your response. I have seen his videos, but he doesnt show how to hit your chest :(. Also, I kinda liked the forward hit because it seems you can do it in more positions than backward, just I was hoping someone might have some information about whether it is bad to do it or not (and if it is good, how to do a chest hit with it).
Ty

jigsaw
03-04-2008, 01:57 PM
what i've learned from the "chest hitting" peeps i run into...

is that the chest hit comes a lot from other sources, like a snap in your lower back,

a flex of your abdominals, and even your glutes as mentioned above.

not to say that you shouldn't actually hit your chest, but these other parts of your anatomy when used properly with your chest give that effect that has it pop out at you looking unreal.

Joon13
03-05-2008, 10:02 AM
im not sure if its the right way but, for chest hits i use air control, and that bone that sticks out in the middle of your rib cage, that is where i think your chest hits should come from because seem like you can genarate more power combind with air control, and i do snap my legs when i want a huge effect, but i can see where it will mess your knees up if you do it for years....and good practice is to get a song going and do chest hits and strechs to the beat maby the hole song just do chest hits look in the mirror.. slow, fast and then when you do that for a bit try to double up your hits.. what helps me is fresno

here check the guy out in the hat he is prolly has one of the better chest poping in my opinion http://youtube.com/watch?v=1M7nF4dAhZw

test_this
03-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Hmm I thought what he doing was called like the heartbeat move or something and not a hit? Is a chest hit meant to look just like a tensing of chest muscles like arm hit, or is it combined with a slight push out or something?

Ty

bboyPROstiTUTBSX
03-05-2008, 12:55 PM
yah tats a heartbeat: just chest iso. thats not hitting with your chest

iamPROTOTYPE
03-05-2008, 07:50 PM
thats a really technical question...

basically comes down to preference. why not try both ways, and see which one works best for you.. or use forward leg hits when needed, and snap back leg hits when needed, or a combination of both. or innovate and create a new technique that works best for you. there will probably be times when a forward leg hit is appropriate, and others when the back snap leg hit works best. preference.

as for hitting the chest with your forward or leg hit... thats a good question.. really technical again, which can get confuzing but good question. i guess it would depend on the overall effect you were trying to achieve.. personally, i like hits that are sharp and precise... and hard to tell where the power is generated from. sneaky hits. so that would require focus not so much on power, or compensating because your using your leg hits forward or backward, but it would require you to focus on synchronizing all your hits contracting and relaxing all at the exact same time, in unison. perfectly synched together. but thats what i like... preference again, others may want to accentuate or emphasize certain hits for their desired effect.

yep. best to be open minded and experiment to see which technique and combination of techs work best for creating the effect you want. then get feedback (from others and yourself (friends, mirror, video cam) to see where you need to put in practice to get to where you want to be.

yeah.

test_this
03-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Cool, thanks for the responses, I thought it might be a matter of preference (didn't want to be doing forward hits if they going to give me knee damage lol).
For chest hits, I know I tense the muscles that are in that area, but some people advocate a push out or something. Do you do outwards hits or inwards hits, or just tense it? (I figure that is probably the same when combined with forward leg hit, maybe just matter of getting good timing)

Ty

test_this
03-15-2008, 12:57 AM
I don't really want to double post, but ..
I have been watching some clips of Slick Dogg, who has a really nice chest hit, but it doesn't seem like he is pushing it out or whatever, perhaps he is just tensing chest muscles? (I dunno, it is kinda hard to know that just from clip, especially with vid quality / lighting etc). Does anyone have any ideas / perhaps know what he does to achieve that effect?

Ty

itstitoitstito
03-16-2008, 08:11 AM
worry too much make ur hit weaker
thats my advice
________
ZOLOFT DEATH (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

test_this
03-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I see how that would be useful advice, if I was slightly further ahead than I am. I am kinda more still understanding the technical side of how to hit, before I can relax with it and do it without really thinking about it.

Ty, I'm sure its something to keep in mind for later on :P

test_this
05-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Sorry I kinda forgot about this thread once I had a chat to invent thru private messages. He gave a very indepth response:

I figured some of the other new people might be interested in the info too lol, so I have ressurected it :D.

Firstly:
Hey, first of all on the knee hits:

By doing different things, you get different effects. If you hit the knees forwards its not bad, you just get a different effect to your hit. It's very quick, very sharp, and very small. So this combined with slight backwards knee hits gives you the quick small jerky hits you need for animation and sinbadding.
On the other hand, backwards knee hits allow you to use fully use your thighs, glutes, and calves when you hit, giving you a bigger hit effect.

So it's not that one is better than the other, its just that both have different qualities (effects) that you might want to use in different situations. So work on both!!

As for the chest hits, you're really gonna to have to connect with your body and what its telling you to get this. I'll try to break it down in steps.

Step one: can you hits (just quickly tense and relax) your pectoral muscles?

Step two: take in a deep breath. notice how your chest lifts and your stomach goes in. Now repeat that movement in your stomach and chest WITHOUT breathing. only use your muscles (not your breath) to do this.

Step three: use your muscles to squeeze your shoulder blades together, dont pull your shoulders back. Those should remain in the same place at all times (this is important for hitting angles above the shoulders WHILE using chest hits). At this point, you should feel like you're making a "V" shape between your shoulder blades (with the point on the "V" being at the spine).

Step four: as you are pushing your shoulder blades together (and your chest is moving forward) imagine you have a rope tied to the center of your chest (the sternum) and that rope is pulling straight up. With the other steps, it should look like your chest moves outwards and rotates upwards all at the same time.

Step five: add in the pectoral hit

Step six: wow people with your amazing chest hits!!!

Remember dont try to force it or jerk it. stretch your muscles so you stay safe. remember, listen to your body... if its feels like you might hurt something, scale it down, break it down, make sure you do it right and within any physical limitations you might have. (this took me about 6 months to a year before i got it like i have it now, so be patient... think of trying to do the splits... you may not be able to do them right this second, but if you keep stretching, then you'll be able to get it.)

Invent
I asked a few things, some clarifications:
Backwards knee/leg hit is just as was explained in the tutorial...

You're also right on focusing on muscle groups for the chest hit.

Pectoral is done at the very end right when the chest is arriving at its furthest point.
Happy practicing :)

I have been practising and got the chest hit down, although I still cant work out the leg hits...
When I try to do it I either revert to a forward instead, or I tense my leg, but cant get it to do it fast like a hit just a slow tensing, or I end up standing there thrusting rofl.
Is there any way to make it easier, like a technique to try while learning till you get it down? I heard some people say you can have your heel raised off ground slightly, practise pushing that to ground, then keep reducing distance until its on ground and by then u have figured out how to do it with muscle alone? Should I try that way or is it not correct, I dnno lol. Perhaps there is another way? Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Hope that someone can clarify backwards leg hit a bit more (I have watched invents tutorial bit on the backwards leg hit many times I thought I would just pick it up like the chest hit but I was wrong lol...)
and also that his info on chest hits may be useful to some people.
ty

nerdtron
05-11-2008, 12:12 PM
although I still cant work out the leg hits...
When I try to do it I either revert to a forward instead

There is nothing wrong with doing a forward leg hit. Lots of excellent dancers use one to a great effect. I personally like it better since it's easier on my knees, and I feel like it's easier to hit your knee forward in awkward positions.

If you're trying to learn both, then more power to you.

edelberto
05-16-2008, 08:21 AM
leg pops..

it depends on whats the position of your body when your popping.
example:
if your standing on one foot then it would be really hard to make a clean forward leg pop with the foot your standing on.
if your balance is on one foot then you can do either.
its really a matter of preference.
what illusion are you trying to make when you do pop your leg?
whats comfortable?
what looks better? haha.
your decision.

JUST POP!!

shiftedShapes
05-21-2008, 02:03 PM
if you want to be a heavy hitter you need to master muscle tension. A hard hit is basically a vibration being conducted through a rigid body segment following a sharp stop. Rigid means that it is still and should be able to support weight. If you want to improve your capacity for rigidity work on isometric exercises like static handstands, planches, levers, iron crosses, leg scales, one leg squat and deadlift variations.

forward and backward snapping leg hits are techniques used by boog style poppers and will not produce a rigid hard hit but rather a snappy loose hit. The chest hit you are probably imagining is the bopping tremor hit and it does not use those techniques.

test_this
05-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Hm does that mean I practise a small dimestop before hit? Like not just tensing while in motion make sure do lil stop then tense?

I only just started going to the gym so will be quite a while before I understand those exercises etc.

Hmmmm interesting post although maybe bit too cryptic for a beginner like me ><.

Thanks for response :)

shiftedShapes
05-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Hm does that mean I practise a small dimestop before hit? Like not just tensing while in motion make sure do lil stop then tense?

I only just started going to the gym so will be quite a while before I understand those exercises etc.

Hmmmm interesting post although maybe bit too cryptic for a beginner like me ><.

Thanks for response :)

no you should have a good bit of muscle tension for a sharp dimestop. Play around with different levels of tension, and you will get a feel for what gives the most crisp look.

SunShine
06-15-2008, 07:37 AM
Hi there, I'm new around here, and this thread caught my attention (mainly because I'm also a practising medical doctor and a wannabe gurl popper). I can't say much about the technical aspects of a forward hit, but I wanna comment on the medical aspect of a forward hit.

I have to agree with what invent said about hyperextending the knee causes injuries. The knee is not meant to be snapped backwards (as in, doing a forward hit), and if you do it repeatedly, you might create laxity in the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). This leads to long-term knee instability if the damage is bad.

Hope that helps. :) I don't want any of you guys to end up not being able to climb stairs without your knee giving away.

acute
06-17-2008, 08:31 PM
learn to hit and get control of your lats (i think thats what htey are).. the muscles running down the sides of your back... this is what i hit the most and were most of MY power comes from.. I just call em back hits and often youll feel they combine with ur chest hits because as u tense ur lats ur chest will come out automatically...

getting this control in ur lats will also aid in helping you identify were ur wingbone is and having that extra point of isolation in ur waving.. shoulder, wingbone/chest, wingbone/chest, shoulder.

This is from my experience anyways.