PDA

View Full Version : Help On Locking.

LockinDizzy
02-23-2007, 10:19 PM
any one can help me with all the basics of locking ? i havent been able to find much help. i only learned a few basics from an instructor i had but he left so yeah.

Thanks A Bunch.

bluesteel
02-23-2007, 11:44 PM
basics of locking?? hmm . . .

i suppose your teacher already gave you the lowdown on how to do the lock, wrist twirl, and sam points, so it's hard to really break it down on a message board without showing it in living color.

but in general, i'd say to keep full extensions, and sharp execution in mind. i'd even say that learning how to groove with the music and ride the beat is as important, maybe even moreso, than the moves, so it'd be good to focus on muscality before getting into the technicalities of moves.

that can be said with any dance style, but is especially true with locking since you can't necessarily hide poor musicality and/or technique with bboy acrobatics or gimicky dance moves.

you might already know that, but thats what i've been taught and that's my 2c for anyone thats starting.

LockinDizzy
02-24-2007, 11:27 PM
haha well i already know of what u just replied. thanks for replying though. i just wanna start learning some more techincal moves.

some what like hilty and bosch. but more comical :D

westcoastpoppin
02-25-2007, 12:13 PM
welcome to the boards dizzy~

Where are you from?

LockinDizzy
02-25-2007, 01:34 PM
I am from

San Jose, Bay Area, California representing the Scribblerz Crew.

a crew based on high school students who love the art of dance and the art of pure funk. Although we may not be the greatest at what we do or be the best you have seen but, we just enjoy what we do and we enjoy Dancing.

Scribblerz Crew consist of 2 poppers, 1 locker, 4 breakers. :D

Boogiewalker
03-02-2007, 07:35 PM
If you're from San Jose, you might want to look up the Groovemechanix in San Francisco. They're really cool people and can help you grow and learn more.

Also, get tapes/DVD's of the Original Lockers from Greg Campbellock Jr. (www.lockerlegends.net).

Also, try to watch alot of clips. And Listen to funky music all the time...

I know that's probably nothing "new" but it's something...

peas,

Boogiewalker
CSLA Funkstyles

bluesteel
03-03-2007, 01:25 AM
the peeps from groovemekanex are dope. i learned from their very own L Lock when i started out.

oh and if u do happen to learn from a "legendary" teacher, that doesn't automatically make you good or give u any cred, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

hell u can learn a lot from 2nd generation lockers and onward, so don't think you're getting shortchanged if you're not learning from don campbell himself from the getgo, that is, if u decide to take class(es) or find tutelage from someone in the know.