PDA

View Full Version : Gliding / Floating Tips and Advice

zohpakrante
06-03-2008, 12:48 AM
i've searched the forum but haven't found any info.
i'm planning to start practising glides/slides and want to ask for some help. i've seen different ish on youtube and now i'm not sure which way is better/worse than the other one.
since i know there are a lot of dope gliders up in here, could yall give me some tips? i just need the foundation, the breakdown of it.
thanks alot

inq87
06-03-2008, 01:37 AM
as long as it looks like the person is gliding its good. some tips for you is to learn the floating first, which is the V as some people call it.

TETRIS
06-03-2008, 08:38 AM
When your sliding your foot, be very light on the foot that is actually doing the sliding. Keep it flat, but sometimes i use the ball of my heel for the main weight support, and the rest of my foot actually barely touches the ground. (this actually depends on what kind of glides you are doing, just an example).

Also, your posture when gliding is very important, you wna make it flawless lookin so be sure your arms are not tensed up or in a weird position.

Tabo has a grip of floating/gliding tips, Frantick and tabo is the one who taught me most of my glides.

Pixilation
06-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Some tips to consider, on top of whats already been said

Stand on your two feet, just normally. Put all your weight on one leg and start just kinda sliding your other foot on teh ground. Because all your weight is on one foot, that other foot should be moving pretty slidely like over the ground. Thats the kinda weight transfer you're gonna be trying to master to give yourself that realllllly clean glide.

when doing floats, try pushing off of one leg and pulling the other leg in. So Push, then pull. The pushing leg has all the weight on it, so the other leg should be easy to slide over almost any surface, and when you set that foot down and start pulling the foot that was pushing in, all the weight will be on the pulling leg, so now your first leg should be loose and easy to slide

there are other things, like pulling in your heel towards your toeand turning at your ankle for the push off. If you watch Mr animation in this vid, you get a sense for what I mean (I hope). Here are some other good vids to check out

watch Mr. Animation from 2:00 on
http://www.westcoastpoppin.com/video.php?id=47

Tiev
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmS33lPZwTk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfIhaNjk1vk

There are some other good vids, if you go to the wcp homepage and look under the styles of popping list, click on glides. you'll see some great footage of Boogaloo shrimp doing some of the cleanest glides. watch their footwork!

Also, check the wiggz site in his poppin lessons thing... decent description/info on glides there

GL

King-of-Kurry
06-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Learn the V-step first, gives you foundation for gliding.

Pixilation
06-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Learn the V-step first, gives you foundation for gliding.

Is the v step the same thing as floating? Never heard of the V step meself

TETRIS
06-03-2008, 04:29 PM
in my opinion I dont think the V step helps in gliding in particular...maybe in floating it will help.

V step is like the foot shuffling that moves you across the floor

movin in this manner --> V^V^V^

where V = your feet opening outwards and ^ = Feet pointing in like being pigeon toed

Graph
06-03-2008, 04:33 PM
that V /\ movement i think is better once you understand the weight transfers from heels and toes. cause you can start messing with the weight changes. but yeah i agree i don't think its very effective in helping with glides....

WiseGuy
06-03-2008, 10:01 PM
i think the v step wont neccisarilly give you glides but it will clean up glides once u have them. getting strong floats and smooth wieght changes are what makes glides really dope. the float is the basic illusion the glide is the advance... but the toe heel is more important aspect to learn over just the v step because your not always gliding sideways i.e. backslides etc

waveomatic
06-04-2008, 09:02 AM
yo, if anyone want some over the internet help with glides and floats, if you have a webcam we can do a web chat and I can give you tips in real time and show you mechanics and how to use them over the webchat.

This is one of those things where a visual will help out big time.

Anyone interested hit me up, all you need is a webcam.

Peace and much respect
Wave~O

acute
06-18-2008, 06:48 PM
agree with wiseguy .. heal toe is the foundation of floats, which is, i suppose arguably, the foundation of glides.

advanced heal to action is more imporant and looks better/adds more to your dancing than just gliding imo..

Well heal toe is more fundamentals than what gliding is.. gliding is more of a movement not a fundamental so its much less scope.

chiloz
06-19-2008, 02:22 AM
hey you guyz, can someone give me any pointers on how to practice standin' on your toes.. I wanna improve my footwork hehe

Pixilation
06-20-2008, 09:07 PM
acute: agreed for the most part, but heel/toe movement needs smooth weight transfer, need both to make the glide look good so I'd say they're both foundation

MRWIGGLESEB
06-20-2008, 09:19 PM
theres like two styles that are effective
and sliding style thats more smooth and uses every part of the bottom of the foot and you practically step one foot over the other

and the harsher push pull toe heel style that hurts like hell, but creates a dope effect
for that you wanna get high on your heel and toe
we called it the penny loafers style cause allot of poppers were wearing penny loafer shoes cause of how hard the toe was

practice on a rug allot so by the time you get on a smooth floor you will feel like your flying

payce
wigz

zohpakrante
06-22-2008, 06:06 AM
thanks alot everyone, i really appreciate it.