WestCoastPoppin.com

Go Back   West Coast Poppin - Popping & Locking Online Community Forum > Dance Discussions > Popping Videos and Locking Videos

Popping Videos and Locking Videos Post Popping/Locking Videos, Review other Popping/Locking Videos, critic , give advice, etc

Old 05-05-2010, 01:29 PM

JUST 2 let you all know dvs is not fbc.. HE is Gstyle...

johnny5
funnybones crew
LXD
Old 05-05-2010, 03:39 PM

I wasnt really feeling either of them, but if i had to choose i would def say poppin john won hands down.... i dont care how creative someone is if the skill level isnt there then its just not doing it for me...devious has a good hit and he is very creative and funny,,,im not taking anything away from him but john was waaaaay cleaner ,he did repeat some stuff but oh well, devious did some cool funny moves but alot of it was sloppy im always gona go for the cleaner popper though thats my look on things....peace..
Old 05-05-2010, 03:49 PM

this is like complete opposite approaches to poppin... shows just how different and unique you can be!
Old 05-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Ultra Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzrockn View Post
I wasnt really feeling either of them, but if i had to choose i would def say poppin john won hands down.... i dont care how creative someone is if the skill level isnt there then its just not doing it for me...devious has a good hit and he is very creative and funny,,,im not taking anything away from him but john was waaaaay cleaner ,he did repeat some stuff but oh well, devious did some cool funny moves but alot of it was sloppy im always gona go for the cleaner popper though thats my look on things....peace..
This is a really good point, and generally I agree with you: skill level should decide the battle where there is a big inequality. But there is one catch, the skill level has to be enough to amaze the audience.

John was cleaner, but nothing he did dropped my jaw. To win just based on higher skill level (or power level even). It has to be like a one punch knock out, a technique or move that is just so nasty it cannot be denied.

For me a good example of this was Dre vs. Those two guys from Denmark's got talent (Pandora performed with them too). The guys from Denmark had a lot of good ideas and routines and Dre was just clowning around. From Dre's first get down though it was clear that they were not on his level. His movements are more ordered and have a crispness that the euro's couldn't touch. Same thing with Dre and puppetmaster vs. elsewhere and skywalker.

If John wants to win on technique alone he would have to up his game. On the other hand I think John would have taken it if he had been in his zone. Certainly he had segments in his Italy clip that would have been more than enough.

This is a topic close to my heart because I don't think battles should be about creativity or self-expression. That's what soloing and group routines are about. If you just want to do you, there's no need for a battle. the only real purpose for a battle is to compare skill levels. See who has the hardest robot, the most defined animation, the most detailed tuts, most isolated or fluid waves etc.. If this was how the battle was being judged John would have won, but it was not and John knew that.

If you want to compare two dancers to see whose style is the most pleasing overall just compare the best clips of each.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:57 PM

USA needs to get off that corny ass shit. That stuff doesn't cut it overseas. You gotta get down man. Much respect to both Devious and Poppin John, but cmon now. The bar is much higher than that. No easy props.

Just coming back from Old School Night was a wake up call...not many in the US are holding it down on a high level...we need to all push ourselves harder here in the states.

these guys are holding it down right now..
Popula
Kid Boogie
Rashaad
JSmooth
Frantick
Future
Slim Boogie
Funktion
Shonn Boog
Aja
Terrance
Madd Chadd
Tetris
Legend
Tempo
Bionic
Nikodemus
Pharside
but even we need to push our levels even higher...but all these people know this already.

Sorry if this pisses some of you off, but if nobody else is gonna tell you the truth....I will. Fuck it.

JRock
ABM
Old 05-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Ultra Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRockABM View Post
USA needs to get off that corny ass shit. That stuff doesn't cut it overseas. You gotta get down man. Much respect to both Devious and Poppin John, but cmon now. The bar is much higher than that. No easy props.

Just coming back from Old School Night was a wake up call...not many in the US are holding it down on a high level...we need to all push ourselves harder here in the states.

Popula
Kid Boogie
Rashaad
JSmooth
Frantick
Future
Slim Boogie
Funktion
Shonn Boog
Aja
Terrance
Madd Chadd
Tetris
Legend
Tempo
Bionic
Nikodemus
Pharside
but even we need to push our levels even higher...but all these people know this already.

Sorry if this pisses some of you off, but if nobody else is gonna tell you the truth....I will. Fuck it.

JRock
ABM
You are very confused J Rock. The Osaka Boogaloo Clone machine is no match for the USA. Forget our poppers they can't even hang with our turfers and flexers:

Old 05-06-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRockABM View Post

Popula
Kid Boogie
Rashaad
JSmooth
Frantick
Future
Slim Boogie
Funktion
Shonn Boog
Aja
Terrance
Madd Chadd
Tetris
Legend
Tempo
Bionic
Nikodemus
Pharside

JRock
ABM
no dis playa but theres a couple of names up there that shouldnt b, i think we all know that!!lol!!!! and im ready to back my words if anybody wants to c me!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:49 AM

oh and i forgot to give Devious his just do props on that cart wheel tut move that was nasty playa!!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:55 AM

all i gotta say to jrocks list is fuck that shit lol fuck having a name for urself this culture aint about whos the dopest its about getting down -iam puttin in werk glad to know iam not on anyones list lol-this is what happens when people try to water our culture down by upper class bullshit -just do u and dont get spoiled offa poppin hahaha
Old 05-06-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWK1 View Post
all i gotta say to jrocks list is fuck that shit lol fuck having a name for urself this culture aint about whos the dopest its about getting down -iam puttin in werk glad to know iam not on anyones list lol-this is what happens when people try to water our culture down by upper class bullshit -just do u and dont get spoiled offa poppin hahaha
That's cool. You what I say in return? Keep living in your little ass bubble thinking everyone is dope here in the US. When all MOST ofthe US poppers do is stand around in a circle jerk and big up eachother. Stand around at clubs and don't get in the cypher, stand around looking in the mirror at homeland, or popshop and can't even dance! Don't know the correct history!

It's cool, don't listen to what I say. That list is not the end all lost...it's just examples of where the skill level is in the US right now. All this corny ass shit I see being done at contests in the US is a joke. The sad thing is that these guys are some of the better ones out there. This isn't taking into consideration the tons of "poppers" that can't even enter a battle or circle.

The US is lazy. It's been said for years now by us, Stretch, Pete, Wigglz...and anyone else that's had the priveldge of traveling. It's our duty to come back and tell the majority of y'all to step your game up.

And no, they're not all clones in Osaka. They have all styles over there as well and turfing and flexing is not popping so stop acting like they represent our culture, they don't. In fact, most them don't like poppers because te majority of the poppers here in the us are corny and can't dance.

Dizzy, don't beat around the bush bro, if you think someone isn't good just say it. This is street dance. Not politics. There's no votes you're gonna lose by speaking your mind. Lol.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:32 PM
ES.LONG BEACH poplockin

Send a message via AIM to Tinman

hey now j rock... you dont need to bring up homeland, because i learned from there. also from you. Just saying not all of us stay around looking at mirrors you know. And you know what, im glad we have homeland because it gives some of the newbies somewhere to start. Just watch, come homeland battle, we'll see who can get down. =] Trust me, not everyone has the privilege to travel bro. Im from the streets man and its hard to get out. But you know what, Homeland is just right there for me and you do see me and others from homeland at carbon getting down to get better. So please dont use homeland again, i dont care what you got against it. Just know that its there for the community and im seeing alot of improvement from all levels. Most of the names on your list come to homeland. so yeah, just wanted to put that out there. On the other hand, i do agree completely with your opinion on this battle. But you know what, its all love man, we get the message and we are trying to get better. So we'll see what happens in the years to come.

Tinman

HOMELAND
WARRIORS
NCC
Old 05-06-2010, 02:33 PM

first off this should be a new thread and leave this for the battle..props to both John and devious for a dope battle and supporting the scene.......

i cant speak for USA because all i know is LA(socal) AZ and TX and MTL(canada) cus ive been blessed to one live in LA and lucky enough to visit the other two cities scenes..and have multiple poppers from MTL (canada) who by the way i think is on a whole nother level come stay at my home and explain there scene...

OK so here we go..

Jrock- "Keep living in your little ass bubble thinking everyone is dope here in the US. When all MOST ofthe US poppers do is stand around in a circle jerk and big up eachother. Stand around at clubs and don't get in the cypher, stand around looking in the mirror at homeland, or popshop and can't even dance!"

ME-First off dont diss homeland because you yourself at one time stood and looked in those mirrors and practiced so dont go there!! homeland has been prob the biggest part of popping history in so cal...secondly the whole stand around clubs and dont cypher i think is a bunch of crap cus everytime i go out to any of the clubs bars or events theres mad cyphers and yes there are still poppers who stand on the side and watch there called newbies who are watching us who are older and learning...and by the way how many of the poppers who come to LA from overseas dare enter the circle or cypher answer slim to none so fuck that...they dont battle unless its a comp now it can be diff if there at home i dont know havent been there just saying what ive seen at events

Jrock-Don't know the correct history!
ME- REALLY REALLY WHO DOES KNOW THE CORRECT HISTORY..I have come to the conclusion of depending on what style you like thats the history your gonna follow doesnt mean ones right or ones wrong there is flaws in every history due to ego ...

as far as your list im not gonna say nething because thats your opinion and i respect that...i have a diff opinion but thats mine...

now do i think USA is on top nah..to be honest my fave scene right now is Montreals there bringing heat...i def think USA can step it up and i hope we do..

these are just my opinions and felt i had to defend what i see in USA...

Jrock by the way how did you do fyi I was talking to funktion and he told me you and kid were battling and i was rooting for both yall....

MUCH RESPECTS,

POPPING TRONIK

FUNNYBONES CREW
Old 05-06-2010, 03:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to waveomatic

Props to John and Devious, you can't please everyone, hehe, but as long as you two had fun who gives a shit, right?

Homeland has helped people since its doors opened. It's done nothing but good not only to the dancers that go there, but to everyone that lives around there. Dance saved a gang infested neighborhood, and it gave a place where people from all over the world come to learn. Free lessons, for anyone, by many great dancers. Homeland doesnt create lazy dancers there, come see, it makes monsters, hehe. Madd Chadd started there, for example. Seen him get dope as hell week by week.

The US is not behind. And if it is so what? Montreal is becoming like the LA of Canada. That's the beauty of poppin, the best can be anywhere. But as far as I know, in most styles, like waving, tutting, animation, etc, I see so much here on a VERY HIGH level. I'm a waver, I love waving, and I do my part to rep LA and to show that our waves are second to none. I'm not the only one, there are many here that can say that. So I just don't see the big deal, unless cats think that these styles are INFERIOR to other ones maybe, but even then, its a personal issue, not a geographical one.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:08 PM

Default ...

I never dissed homeland. I dissed the "the practice mentality" where the person never learns how to get off in a circle. They just practice standing there staring at some small detail they've practiced over and over in a mirror. You have to balance it out with getting down in a cricle. So don't twist my words around. I'll be the first to drive down to homeland and rip a circle the way it's supposed to be done.

It's the same problem studio dancers have, they just take choreography classes all day and then go home and never practice getting down in clubs or in a cypher setting. It shows when they finally try to get down. It's 50/50 practice and getting down.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to waveomatic

Quote:
I never dissed homeland
then...

Quote:
I'll be the first to drive down to homeland and rip a circle the way it's supposed to be done.

I feel your passion bro, and I mean that, but statements like that come off like your telling us we can't rip a circle there or don't the way "it's" suppose to. Who is "its"? Slim was rippin one in half on Monday. He's wasn't the only one. I rip it the way I want to, not how you, he, she or "it" want me to, and that is why my waves speak for themselves, not for someone else's. Its not a show off spot, its a place to learn, practice, get better, network, teach, observe.....first of all.

Jrock, you have your likes, others have their own. I mean, not too long ago you said how bad Poreotix are for poppin, and America disagreed with you and the judges, they WON. And sure you can say "well they didn't do just poppin" but it comes back to they didnt go on that show for you. They did what THEY WANTED TO and WON doing THIER shit and had FUN doing it, not what ppl wanted them to conform to, nor did they listen to cats trying to blame them for the insecurities of others.

Apology for off topic stuff. Just wanted to make a point.